05 February 2011

Laundry vs. Washing Clothes


We do the laundry together, Pete and I. There is something so old fashioned about laundry - sorting, looking for stains, turning items outside-in and inside-out, matching socks, folding, hanging, ironing, ....

Our favorite part is the wealthy feeling of having everything cleaned and pressed and put away. (Actually, I hate putting things away, but Pete loves it!)

More than several years ago, we saw a program on HGTV that instructed us on how to make our drawers and closets nicer. We followed the directions and I'm proud to say that we've rarely varied from the program. We were amazed at how much room is saved - and how we can find everything - yes, everything - even in the underwear drawers!

And, I iron all our linen kitchen towels and our hand-embroidered all-cotton pillow cases. We even use doilies and dresser scarves that must be laundered, hand-starched the old-fashioned way (not spray starch) and pressed. We even use a professional mangle to press our tablecloths!

We both love the comfortable, crumpled linen look and have lots of such casual clothing, but nothing beats a nicely ironed shirt and slacks with a perfect crease.

Some of my friends have told me that this is evidence that I need a life. I think it's evidence that I have a life. I take pride in a job well done and just love the feel of crisp linens and the entire experience.

I've found that over the last few decades, I, along with lots of other people, have taken the comfortable stance that somethings just aren't important. Leisure is important - but what is leisure after all? A century and a half ago, it was sewing and mending, whittling and creating tools, reading and learning.

So, I treasure my leisurely evenings of ironing - touching the old things that were my mother's and grandmother's, remembering that they ironed them, too. Luckily I don't have to heat the iron on the stove or in the fireplace!

1 comment:

  1. Looks to me like laundry isn't just a chore to you and Pete, it's carrying on a family tradition by caring for heirlooms. If it makes you happy, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete