15 March 2009

Bittersweet Days are More than OK

Believe it or not, we just couldn't be happy with just one greyhound. Today we adopted Bo-Bo Duke (far right). He's not even 3 years old yet! His racing history is pretty short. He only raced 9 times and in almost every one of those, he bumped into a competitor. He's a pretty good runner, so we think he just wanted to play with the others.

Maybe he's clumsy, but we think he's just friendly. Everyone seems to be getting along. But this is a bittersweet moment for me: a house was never a home for us without animals - lots of them - this is the way my Mom and Dad would have loved it - a life full of confusion and animals. I just wish they could see all three running around in our yard.

And speaking of my Mom - she did most of our packaging for us. She used to joke that she did the work of 3 people and then paid for our lunch! We sure miss her special cutting skills, too. Any of SilverCrow's products that are trimmed neatly were trimmed by Glady. A small sampling of her handiwork is pictured here.

And Daddy was the ephemera-maker, scouring the volumes of books and periodicals for photos and illustrations. Even with macular degeneration, he could spot those pretty eaisily. Then he assembled the base papers for our packages.

Now we have to do all of this ourselves, or, pay people to do it! Don't worry, the price won't go up (my parents would haunt us!)

I'm sad to say that both BoBo Duke and Flossie have crossed the rainbow bridge and are watching over us from heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how this brought a smile to my face. How I remember watching Gladys working late into the night packaging your goodies. She truly enjoyed doing this for you. I think this made Gladys feel as special to you as you felt to her. Treasure those fond memories. I certainly will! gloria.

    ReplyDelete